4 июня 2014
STROGANOV SCHOOL, MOSCOW, LATE 19TH CENTURY
Diameter 13.5, height 11 cm.
Related literature: For similar works, see Exhibition catalogue, L’Art russe dans la seconde moitié du XIXe siècle: en quête d’identité, Musée d’Orsay, Paris, 2005, cat. no. 516.
Tapering cylindrical bowl with moulded scrolling foliage painted in blue, green and yellow enamels with gold outlines on white ground, circular domed gadrooned foot painted in gold and with a band of moulded saying in Cyrillic “Kto p’iet, tomu vo zdravie”.
The history of ceramic production at the Imperial Stroganov Arts School dates back to its founding in 1825. Under the artistic guidance of Sergey Stroganov, the painting school ran classes specialising in the modelling and decoration of objects made from clay and later opened porcelain painting classes. Many of the graduates of Stroganov Arts School would go on to have careers with the major porcelain factories in Russia.
In 1867, a ceramic workshop was opened and led by the famous academician Mikhail Vasiliev for almost thirty years. During this period, the masters favoured works in the Russian style, drawing inspiration from tableware of the 12–17th centuries. However, the students' work was limited to making drawings and designs as the actual production was the prerogative of the professional ceramicists.
The present lot is a rare example of this period of Stroganov ceramics. An analogous chalice from the collection of the State Historical Museum was exhibited at the Musée d’Orsay in 2005.
Notes on symbols:
* Indicates 5% Import Duty Charge applies.
Ω Indicates 20% Import Duty Charge applies.
§ Indicates Artist's Resale Right applies.
† Indicates Standard VAT scheme applies, and the rate of 20% VAT will be charged on both hammer price and premium.