8 Jun 2009
RUSSIAN, MAKER’S MARK OF THE FIRST ARTEL, AFTER 1908
Closed 10.1 by 6.7 cm.; extended 10.1 by 12.7 cm.
The upper part is in the shape of an ogee arch, the back is inscribed with the dedication, a band with foliage patterns runs along the border, at the front the closed wings are engraved with stylised floral and leafy motifs, in the centre is a cross, its beams with lily-shaped terminals; the two wings open to reveal a halflength image of Christ in blessing and holding an open Gospel, to the sides are full-length images of the Mother of God holding Christ and St. Nicholas, the figures painted on metal (possibly silver), rendered with bright colours against a gold background, each wing with an elaborate cloisonne enamel border showing flower buds and leaves.
Notes on symbols:
* Indicates 5% Import Duty Charge applies.
Ω Indicates 20% Import Duty Charge applies.
§ Indicates Artist's Resale Right applies.
† Indicates Standard VAT scheme applies, and the rate of 20% VAT will be charged on both hammer price and premium.